Excitement over new Sailor Moon coming in 2013!!

So if you haven't heard already, there is a new Sailor Moon anime series coming in 2013 in honor of it's 20th anniversary!! Also, all the SM manga is being re-released in America right now with better translations and formatting. Annnnd the Sailor V comics have finally been released in english for the first time!! Its an exciting time for Sailor Moon fans!! Rather than copy and paste some of the news I've read about all of this, I thought I'd just link to some great resources:

Just finished Sailor V vol. 1 and now about to start 2!! Reading a chapter a day is a lot more fun than reading it all in one sitting like I used to. ☺ photo

I've been so so excited about all of this that I've ordered all the manga available, and then I even picked up a little necklace from etsy. (above) There are a ton of amazing fan creations on the internet right now too that have popped up lately – these are my two favorites:

• Jewelry shop "Kuma crafts" which makes amazing necklaces based on the lockets and wands in Sailor Moon! I got my above necklace from there. She's currently sold out of Sailor Moon stuff but puts new items up every couple of months so keep an eye out!
  • Lunacy magazine – an online fan made magazine all about Sailor Moon!! This is like a dream come true! It's put together so professionally and covers a wide range of fan interests. Below is a screen cap from one of the issues where they go over how to recreate outfits from the art! Too cool!!

Going through my Sailor Moon manga for a blog post on what's changed in the new translations... And I love the pics of Usagi and Mamoru in vol 1. So cute and funny!  photo.JPG

I've really been enjoying reading the manga again. I think the last time I read it was around 1999 when it was first being released in America… Some of the manga has changed and the overall quality and translations are wonderful in this re-release! (I found a lot of the changed details *so* interesting that I actually scanned a ton of pages to go over it and I'll be sharing that in another post.)

My favorite thing about rereading the manga is remembering how much I adored the relationship between Mamoru and Usagi – the love and friendship stories in Sailor Moon are so magical and touching. As a teenager I always hoped to find someone as wonderful as Mamoru to be with. I loved how he and Usagi worked as a team and supported each other. :*)! So lovely!!

smile magazine scans from 1999

And now for a trip down memory lane… When I first read Sailor Moon, it was actually in Smile magazine! I was in 9th grade and I was a huge fan that I bought all the issues I could get of smile until it went under, and then I started collecting the graphic novels as they were slowly released. My girlfriends were really into Sailor Moon too, and we would all print out stories we found online that weren't translated in America yet, and also lend each other different artbooks and collectibles we got a hold of! We were pretty obsessed at the time. Due to this, the Sailor Moon stories are something very special to me because it reminds me of these fun times when I was a teenager. πŸ™‚

smile magazine scans from 1999

On the note of Smile, I thought it would be fun to show some pages from the above issue of Smile that had Sailor Moon stuff on it! The magazine talked about all kinds of things – websites, movies/tv, video games, books, music, clothes, Japanese culture, manga and anime – but it focused a lot on Sailor Moon because that was it's big title comic at the time.

smile 1 smile magazine scans from 1999

smile magazine scans from 1999 smile magazine scans from 1999

Things have changed so much since then!! It's kinda comical to read some of the ads and articles in it now.

Sailor Moon hair extensions

Last but not least, I thought it would be fun to share this super old photo… (Check out my crazy floppy disk digital camera!) When I was in high school I would sometimes wear my hair like Usagi's with extensions and I even did this for a few months in college when I was growing out my hair. I loved this hair style!! I can't remember how I did it, but I remember it being relatively easy to do with a tutorial I had found online. Did any of you try this too? Maybe I should do it again when my hair is a little longer! πŸ˜‰

news_large_ssailormoon_shinsou_6_______________

So yeah – I'M SUPER EXCITED!! I'm currently on the above volume.

Have any of you been getting excited too for the upcoming new anime or rereading the manga and feeling nostalgic?! Let's talk about it!!

I'll be sharing the "What's changed" manga scans in my next post. πŸ™‚

17 thoughts on “Excitement over new Sailor Moon coming in 2013!!

1. Lindacana says:

OMG! I am so stoked ever since I heard the news πŸ™‚ I hope they do a re-release of the dvds…tired of watching the show on my low quality bootleg dvds. Now that I have an adult job I can totally budget to get a ton of new sailor moon stuff πŸ˜›

2. Saffron Sugar says:

Omg, that odango hair style you did in high school is so freakin’ cute! I’d love to learn how to do it o v o ❀
    I'm a sailor moon nut, I loved it growing up and I even made my own comics inspired by sailor moon (I cast one of my teachers as the villain.). When the new manga releases started I was so excited… and when I found out about the new anime I freaked out in a pretty major fashion.
    Oh, and the kuma crafts stuff is so gorgeous! She sold out of all the sailor moon stuff in like an hour when she released them, but I managed to snag the chibimoon necklace and it is stunning! I've seen a lot of other etsy shops knock her off though, which is sad :/

3. Sarah says:

Ah!! I missed this post because I am traveling! Sailor moon is my anthem! And like you I collected whatever I could find. Once my mom travelled to Asia and brought back home outer senshi toys before they were introduced in the USA. Huge spoiler but man… My mom was sooo awesome for supporting what I liked and something unique. Sailor moon is still one of my favorite series simply because of her message of friendship and a strong sense of individuality πŸ™‚ I am sooo happy for the new series! I gotta pick up the re-released manga!

4. Sailor Jupiter says:

My hair is long enough[maybe] to do Chibi-Usa’s hair style… and it’s the color too, only a bit darker because it’s faded and the underlying color is coming back!

5. moonchild says:

I can’t wait ^___^
    I have been waiting for this news ever since it went off air.
    I recently re watched the entire first season on youtube
    but, I need more! ❀

6. Sarah says:

This is going to be Awesome i hope that they do a really good job on the series i watched it as a kid and lonnnged for at least one more series or two for that matter. i hope that they stick to the story as much as possible. πŸ™‚

7. Vanessa Nilsson says:

I find it exciting. I’m about to read her latest Manga series of Sailor Moon (Pretty Guardian) which according to wikipedia is actually a re-telling of the original arc (apparently the author changed some things that she wasn’t satisfied with around) of course I look forward to especially since features more of the side Sailor’s like Uranus and Saturn.

8. friendlyone21 says:

The thing I’m worried about the most now, is it going to be dubbed in English and shown in the United States too? I wish they would tell us already.

9. lady of the moon says:

I love the fact that sailor moon is coming back! I remember with a heavy heart when they decided to take it off the air supposedly according to what i read in a magazine at the time the sailor star outfits were too skimpy or resque I think the word was.
    When I heard sailor moon was coming back I almost couldn’t believe it. I had my best friend check it out for me while i looked it up just too. That hair style looks awesome. I tried to get my hair dresser to do that once but she couldn’t get it right. i still have my sailor moon wands and movies although i recently let go of he VHS tapes but i have one dvd that i found because someone gave i back to the store. i also have my usagi doll with her sailor moon outfit.
    i told my friend jen about it and she wrote me a letter with some sailor moon stationary that she kept. I can’t wait for summer to come!!

10. CHRISTINA says:

Dubbed subbed… Doesn’t matter one bit to me. I’m just so happy that Sailor Moon is finally back. I first watched it when I was 8 years old. I was obsessed with drawing little paper dolls of ALL the characters LOL. I talked every episode on cartoon network and bought all the movies. I hope this is truly a new series and not a simple reboot of the past. I would love for the Seiya/Usagi storyline to be expanded upon. Also, don’t kick the Inner Senshi to the curb… Oh and I hope the go into Pluto’s feelings for king endymion… So many things to flush out… LOL