BIG NEWS: My comic in Magnet magazine + win a copy!!!

So I've had a little secret I've been dying to share since September… For the next 6 months I'll be writing and illustrating a comic strip called "The adventures of Record Store Girl" for music magazine Magnet!!

The comic is about Lillian, a record store shop girl, who accidentally discovers a magical object that gives her super powers! But what will she do with those powers…? Fight to save record stores from big-box chains taking over, become a music vigilante or just decline her new abilities for a normal life? You'll have to read the strips to find out!

Lillian also happens to be a real person – she's my good friend who actually works at Criminal Records here in Atlanta! I got the idea to write about her as magical girl because she does so many things for her store and local community in Atlanta that it's almost super human!

I'm so excited about Record Store Girl because I've always wanted to write a cutesy magical girl story and this was the perfect opportunity! I can't wait to see how it all evolves! I might even try to weave it into my personal comic I've been working on.

Magazine with my comic in it!

Comic #1 went on sale at the beginning of November with the above cover, but I wasn't able to blog about it right away due to work and personal stuff… But! It will be for sale until the 28th so you can still hurry if you want to get a copy!!

Indie record shop list

If you'd like to buy a copy, you can find it at either your local independent record shop or one of the fabulous stores listed above! Annnd comic #2 will be available for purchase on November 29th!! Since I know that is a bit of a time crunch to get the first comic, I thought I'd do something fun for you guys:

My comic in Magnet

I'm giving away a free signed copy of
Magnet magazine with "The adventures of Record Store Girl" #1 inside!

Want to win a copy of the magazine?

• Leave a comment stating what sort of magical super hero abilities you wish you had, along with your name and email!
  • If you reblog about this, that can count as an extra entry as long as you link where you mentioned the comic in a separate comment! (So it counts as an extra entry! <3)

I'll use a random number generator to select a winner from the comments on November 28th and send out your issue just in time to read before comic #2!

Wheee! So glad I can finally post about this!!
I hope you guys are as excited as I am! ❀

28 thoughts on “BIG NEWS: My comic in Magnet magazine + win a copy!!!

1. Tabitha says:

I would want the powers of Poison Ivy with the flexibility of Catwoman and the attitude of Harley! Or if I was making my own character like you so wonderfully did she would be able to touch any book and absorb all the information inside and use it to defeat evil and bring peace to the realm!

2. Cristal says:

Yay! A San Comic. Congrats. πŸ˜€ I’ve been reading a lot of graphic novels lately and it makes me want to wish I could have super-speed reading powers so I can read all the books in the world. I really would love to have teleporting powers, though. I don’t drive and it would make things easier for me to get to my job. Or Japan. Lol.

3. Meru says:

Oh San, this looks so cute!!! I’m really excited for you! I hope to pick up a copy when I get back to the states πŸ™‚
    I love the character design especially. Would it be ok to add that to my list of future cosplay ideas? πŸ˜‰ Your artwork always makes me so happy!
    I wish I had teleportation powers, so I could travel freely and see my loved ones and friends no matter what!

4. Kristy Fletcher says:

That is so cool! Everyone needs to read more comics. If I had powers, I’d want to be able to regenerate like Wolverine, fly like Rouge and be able to control the weather like Storm.

5. Alexis says:

Congrats – that’s awesome!
    I think maybe I’d like to control time, be able to speed up, slow down or pause it.
    I’ll be in Atlanta in March – I’ll have to put the record store on my list of things to check out

6. Lydia says:

That looks really good! Congrats!
    If I could have a magical power it would be the ability to braethe underwater, so I could see all the deep sea creatures… And the ability to time travel would be great too.

7. Cate says:

Oh wow it looks amazing San, congratz!
    If I were to have a super power it would have to be teleportation I’d save a fortune on air tickets, be able to see my friends and family in the blink of an eye and spend my life doing the one thing I love TRAVEL!
    Cate
    xoxo
    email: Cateaclysmic@gmail.com

8. buchan.laura@gmail.com says:

San!
    I’m so excited that you’re making comics!
    If I had a super power, it would definitely be a positivity power. It would probably look something like Chibi Moon’s Pink Sugar Heart, and make myself and others feel super positive and empowered πŸ˜‰